Re: 5.1

On 10/25/2018 2:37 AM, Maciej Sumiński wrote:
> On 10/25/18 2:23 AM, Seth Hillbrand wrote:
>> Am 2018-10-24 17:20, schrieb Maciej Suminski:
>>> Actually I was pretty sure that my approach is bullet-proof, but perhaps
>>> I do not get where the trap is hidden. As far as I understand, Seth
>>> experienced problems when pcbnew (wxWidgets/gtk2) loaded wxPython shared
>>> libraries (wxWidgets/gtk3), which end up in symbol conflicts.
>>>
>>> This issue is eliminated in my branch by ensuring KiCad requests the
>>> same wxWidgets flavor as is used by wxPython. I might be lacking
>>> explanation skills, but code is unambiguous - have a look at [1], lines
>>> 746 and 775.

I looked at this and it only works for linux.  Although it may be highly
unlikely, given that wxpython and wxwidgets can be build against gtk on
windows and msys2 provides gtk2, gtk3, and as of a few days ago gtk4
packages, there is always the possibility that this could happen on
windows.  Since msys2 builds use wx-config, this shouldn't be a
difficult change.

>> Hi Orson-
>>
>> It looks like this overwrites the user's preference for GTK toolkit.
>> I'd like to keep the ability to specify which toolkit I compile against
>> if possible.
>>
>> Best-
>> Seth
>
> I will add such option, but keep in mind that pcbnew will be broken if
> wxWidgets and wxPython use different toolkits. Note that the toolkit
> version is enforced only on Linux and when KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON is
> enabled.

You should always respect the devs preference even though it may be
incorrect.  A simple check to see if wxWidgets_CONFIG_OPTIONS has
already been defined should suffice.  If you are really feeling
motivated, a warning to the uninformed developer would be useful.