Re: Putting on-call reviewer in channel topic?

On Sep 11, 2009, at 8:41 AM, Guilherme Salgado wrote:

On Thu, 2009-09-10 at 19:56 -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
On Sep 10, 2009, at 7:24 PM, Karl Fogel wrote:

A more important question: what exactly is the utility of the topic in #launchpad-reviews? How are we using it; why do people scan it? (Not
facetious questions -- the answers really are not obvious to me, and
I'm
wondering if articulating them might shed some light here.)

We use it to coordinate work among several ocr's so that it's
instantly clear who's doing what.

We now have that claim-review button on a BMP, which, AIUI, assigns a
reviewer to it and takes it away from the 'Branches you can review'
list, unless you're the one who's claimed it.

If we use it then the topic won't be needed for coordination purposes.

I have used the topic to remind me of the url of the in-Launchpad review queue ('Branches you can review'), though I see that link has disappeared again. :-/

The claim-review button is very nice, and I use it, but I'm not sure it replaces the topic. I find the topic to be useful when I want a review to see how booked the reviewers are, and if my requested review is going to be coming up soonish in the queue.

As a reviewer, the topic also separates the immediate "please do it now, because I'm around on IRC" review requests from the "when you get around to it, because I might not be around" review requests in the LP queue.

Gary