Re: Lubuntu 13.10 beta - zram and hardware

On 09/23/2013 03:35 AM, JM wrote:
[snip]
> To prevent the kernel from swapping to disk (using the swap partition, which
> is slower than a swap in ram), install this:
>
> http://meets.free.fr/Downloads/BentoVillageProject/Configurations/System/etc/sysctl.d/50-local.conf

> /etc/sysctl.d/
>
> this is what it says:
> *********
>
> ## Configure swappiness
> # Uncomment the next line if we are running a laptop
> # vm.laptop_mode = 1
> vm.swappiness=0
> vm.vfs_cache_pressure=50
>
> *********
>
> very commonly adviced in many places on the web, which I use in all my systems since a
> while now.
>
> Then the following:
> http://meets.free.fr/Downloads/BentoVillageProject/Configurations/System/Zram/
>
> Read the README.
>
> Change your
> /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf
>
> for this one:
> http://meets.free.fr/Downloads/BentoVillageProject/Configurations/System/Zram/etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf
>
> what is added is only this:
> COMPCACHE_SIZE="25%"
>
> instead of
> COMPCACHE_SIZE=""
>

> in /usr/share/initramfs-tools/conf.d/compcache
>
> change this:
> COMPCACHE_SIZE="50%"
>
> for this:
> COMPCACHE_SIZE="25%"
>
> This is what the patch file means:
> http://meets.free.fr/Downloads/BentoVillageProject/Configurations/System/Zram/usr/share/initramfs-tools/conf.d/compcache.patch
[snip]

Thanks for walking me through that.  I've made the changes to
50-local.conf and initramfs.conf and rebooted.  sysctl is now reporting
this:

	vm.swappiness = 0
	vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 50

We'll see how that goes for this kernel:

	Linux lubuntu 3.11.0-8-generic #15-Ubuntu SMP Fri
	Sep 20 04:11:26 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Regards,
/Lars