Re: Re : No more dodge windows in Unity ? Why keep the "Always hide" option ?

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 14:59, Jarlath Reidy <jarlathreidy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This is what I was thinking. Is dodge a good replacement for autohide?
>

> On Feb 10, 2012 1:47 PM, "Stefanos Apostolopoulos" <stapostol@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> I agree with setting always visible as default, and I agree that three
>> options are overkill. So how about this solution:
>>
>> Rename dodge to auto-hide.
>>
>> I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned before. Dodge achieves the same
>> result as auto-hide, with the added advantage of faster access when no
>> window gets in the way. It is strictly superior to plain auto-hide when
>> measured with objective criteria (i.e. how quickly can you access a given
>> launcher icon), and I really cannot think of any downsides.

I've mentioned it, but it was shot down on the grounds that dodge was
found to be confusing to certain users in testing. This means it is
obviously not strictly superior. I wanted to come up with a plan to
get rid of the confusion and argue for that, but didn't due to lack of
time and the (irrational) feeling that the decision is already set in
stone.

--
Remco