Re: [PETSC #13298] Re: installation of DOLFIN 0.5.7 on Debian

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Barry Smith wrote:

 Yes, of course. But we would still have a problem if the user moved the
dynamic libraries.

Why? If both the dynamic and shared libs are in /usr/lib, and the shared library thinks that the dynamic libs are in /usr/lib, (which it is since we can set it thus at compile time) then what is the problem?

 I'm going to look for a way that does not require the hardwiring.

 BTW: When I do

harley % gtk-config --prefix
/usr

put I have to assume that is the prefix set with --prefix; so what if the
package system dumped the gtk elsewhere (say in /usr/local) then this prefix
information would be worthless.

True.

I just took a look at Octave and slrn, and what they both do is have a --prefix for both configure and make install.

The former --prefix is the same as yours, namely the location where the library would eventually be installed in the system (though I don't know about the hard-wiring), and the latter is the actual location where it is installed in the build.

I don't know how common this technique is, or whether it would work here.

Do you commonly have a fix-up script at the end of the package installer that fixes this stuff?

I don't think so.

Do you want me to ask around regarding best accepted practices?

                                                              Faheem.