Re: Lack of VIA graphics support, was (Lubuntu for kernels without a PAE flag)

On 10/18/2013 07:28 AM, Jörn Schönyan wrote:
> On 18.10.2013 14:19, Erick Brunzell wrote:
>> As a personal matter I'm not too concerned about that because I have no
>> fear of using 12.04 Ubuntu either with Unity-2D, 'GNOME Classic (no
>> effects)', or 'lubuntu-core w/o recommends' which extends support to
>> April 2017 ............ but when that broke between Saucy alpha 1 and
>> alpha 2 I spent a lot of time reading changelogs and saw no indication
>> that support was dropped for P4M800 or P4M900. So it's a bit disturbing
>> to just be ignored, but being ignored by Canonical is nothing new :^(
> I don't think the support was dropped - but the Openchrome driver Saucy
> ships is fairly old (0.3.1, while 0.3.3 is out since May or so). You
> could try to compile it yourself or use the packages from Debian Sid?
>> Look how badly some of the 'ubiquity' bugs were ignored during the Saucy
>> dev cycle. I'll grant you one of them ended up being a 'partman' bug,
>> but there is no sensible reason for these well confirmed bugs to just be
>> ignored until the last 72 hours before release! I'll add to Phill's
>> "rant" with Nicholas ASAP.
>>
>> Lance
> Yes, that's annoying...
>
> Jörn

Thanks for that info :^)

I'll try some upstream Xorg packages and see what happens :^)

Since Ubuntu/Canonical itself had focused so much on Xmir until the last
moment (and then bailed out) I suspect Ubuntu's Xorg devs were limited
in numbers ;^)

Lance